Saturday, June 16, 2012

Another 'Glee' Soundtrack Tops Billboard Album Charts

Rolling Stones, Black Keys make strong debuts on next week's top 200.
By Gil Kaufman

<P>You'd think that the fourth <b>"Glee"</b> album within seven months would burn out the audience for Fox's runaway high school musical show. But you'd be wrong. The peppy covers juggernaut will continue its reign of chart terror next week when <a href="/news/articles/1637674/lady-gaga-beck-featured-on-next-glee-soundtrack.jhtml"><I>Glee: The Music, Volume 3 Showstoppers</I></a> will easily take the #1 slot thanks to sales of 136,000, according to figures provided by Nielsen SoundScan.</P><P>The disc &#8212; featuring covers of songs by the Beatles, All-American Rejects, Christina Aguilera, Bonnie Tyler and U2 &#8212; is the second #1 "Glee" record in a row after last month's <I>The Power of Madonna</I> disc. Coming in at #2 was the reissue of the <b>Rolling Stones</b>' landmark <a href="http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/05/18/rolling-stones-albums-better-than-exile-on-main-st/"><I>Exile on Main St.</I></a> album, which sold more than 76,000 copies.</P><P>Just behind, with the best chart debut of their career, are Ohio blues duo the <a href="http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/04/30/the-black-keys-next-girl-video/"><b>Black Keys</b>, whose <I>Brothers</I></a> moved more than 73,000 copies for a #3 bid, besting a solid debut at #5 by <a href="/news/articles/1639418/nas-working-on-new-lp-helped-him-through-personal-drama.jhtml"><b>Nas</b> and <b>Damian Marley</b>'s collaboration <I>Distant Relatives</I></a> (57,000). (The <i>Billboard</i> 200 chart now includes older catalog albums like <i>Exile</i>; in the current albums chart, the Keys are at #2.) Also breaking into the top 10 with a career best are <b>Band of Horses</b>, whose major-label debut, <I>Infinite Arms,</I> gave the tattoos and tumbleweeds rockers a solid #7 berth on sales of 45,000. The final debut in the top 10, at #10, is the second effort from indie-dance punks <b>LCD Soundsystem</b>, <I>This Is Happening,</I> which moved 31,000 copies.</P><P>The rest of the top 10: <b>Justin Bieber</b>'s <I>My World 2.0</I> (#4, 62,000), <b>Lady Antebellum</b>'s <I>Need You Now</I> (#6, 46,000), <b>Usher</b>'s <I>Raymond v. Raymond</I> (#8, 40,000) and AC/DC's "Iron Man 2" soundtrack (#9, 32,000).</P><P><b>The National</b>'s stay the top was short-lived, as their latest, <I>High Violet,</I> falls 12 spots in week two to #15 (22,000). Meanwhile, the long-anticipated full-length debut of R&B freakazoid <b>Janelle Monae</b>, <I>The Archandroid,</I> hits #17 (21,000), followed by the return of <a href="/news/articles/1640005/reflection-eternal-call-midnight-hour-clip-conceptual.jhtml">Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek's <b>Reflection Eternal</b></a>, <I>Revolutions Per Minute</I> (#18, 21,000). The second album from Jack White's <b>Dead Weather</b> also had a brief sojourn near the top, as <I>Sea of Cowards</I> shed 72 percent of its business in week two, plunging 25 spots to #30 (13,000).</P><P>A rarities comp of the Stones' <i>Exile</i> also comes in at #27, selling nearly 15,000 copies.</P><P>Look for more shake-ups at the top next week when new albums from the reunited <b>Stone Temple Pilots</b>, rapper <b>Cam'ron</b> and the latest from <b>Jack Johnson</b> hit shelves.</p>

Related Artists

Source:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1640072/another-glee-soundtrack-tops-billboard-album-charts.jhtml

Giulianna Ramirez Grace Park Gretha Cavazzoni Gwen Stefani Halle Berry Hayden Panettiere Haylie Duff Heidi Klum Heidi Montag Hilarie Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment